Friday, May 24, 2013

Kitchen Tip: Slicing Mangos


So here's a kitchen tip for you, Ruby Mamas, and one you'll want to teach your Ruby Girls (when they are old enough to handle a knife of course):

We are big mango fans. My Snickerdoodle (1 yr.) loves them, so I am constantly cutting them up to give to her. I've gotten pretty good at peeling the skin and judging where to cut the flesh off from the pit. I always end up with a sticky mess though.

This week, my wise Ruby Mother-in-Law taught me a great, less messy way to slice up mangos! And the perfectionist in me loves the uniform slices that result!




- Choose a mango that is somewhat soft to pressure, not hard.
- Find the eye and make a cut about 1/2 inch to an inch over, down the side. Do this on all 4 sides.
- Take a paring knife and make 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices in each section through the flesh, but not piercing the skin.
- Use a large spoon to simply scoop out the slices.

Voila!!! Pretty mango slices, very little juicy mess!

Mangos go great in a fruit salad, with strawberries or blackberries over vanilla ice cream, mixed into plain yogurt with cinnamon and nutmeg, or made into salsa and served over grilled chicken. They also blend easy for baby food!

Enjoy!

♥ Johnna

No comments:

Post a Comment