Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Parenting From the Overflow: Day 9 - Overflowing Self-Control

Overflowing Self-Control

My Thoughts:

To me, self-control seems to be the thing that's needed to make all of the other fruit a reality.  Without self-discipline, can we really expect all of the other traits to become a reality - especially those areas we struggle in, in particular?

I never used to think I had s self-control problem, because I'm not "impulsive."  I'm the kind that usually thinks through all of the possible outcomes and consequences.  But when it comes to my emotions, I've realized just how much self-control I've been lacking.  And when self-control is lacking and my emotions start spinning, I find myself dealing with jealousy, depression, anxiety, impatience, anger, selfishness, discouragement, brashness,... and everything that is opposite of the fruit of the Spirit!

It seems the older I get the more I struggle.  Although I think it has more to do with the responsibilities I have and the pressure I put on myself to "do it all."  Sometimes I'm surprised by it.  But always, if I start evaluating things, the root cause is some lack of self-discipline in some area of my life, which is usually accompanied by poor decision-making.

I love, though, that this action-taking fruit is one of the evidences of the Spirit in our life.  Some people buy into the idea that "it's all up to God" (and in that, make provision for the flesh.)  No! God wants to give you the power you need to overcome!  We cannot do it without Him.  BUT... self-control comes at a conscious choice! "  Terri Lynn says, "we must submit ourselves to His bidding and discipline ourselves to time in the Word."¹

This area is like exercising a muscle - the more we use it, the stronger it gets.  I so desire that "overflow of the Father’s grace"² in my life.  I want my children to first experience that grace, coming through their Mama! ♥

Terri Lynn gives these ideas for cultivating a heart of self-control:

- Be faithful in God's Word.
- Memorize scripture.
- Learn to laugh.
- Choose grace - both for your child, and for yourself!


"When we give our children a self-controlled mother, 
we have given them a precious gift."³


On the Polishing Rubies Facebook Page, I shared this photo and asked you Mamas how you were building up your house physically, emotionally and spiritually.  We need to consider this often - take careful inspection of our house and repair any damage done as quickly as possible, whether that is on a physical, emotional or spiritual level.

If you haven't memorized this verse yet, take time to do so.  Spend time in prayer, asking the Lord to show you areas that need to be addressed first, and then take those steps of action!

Just for Moms:⁴  

Make a list of ways you can build your home. Include very practical things like repair and maintenance but also other ideas for building relationships and spiritual growth. Develop a plan for putting these ideas into action.
I'm going to be taking whatever extra I can and investing it in flowers for my house.  The way my house looks is completely embarrassing to me.  We live in a rental, so I haven't wanted to make the investment, but I think after a year and a half, it's time to stop waiting for God to move me out of this house and to make it lovely.
I'm also going to be more committed to my time with the girls each day, and not allow myself to get distracted by other things that seem pressing at the moment, but will be there for me faithfully even after my children are gone.
And as for spiritual growth, the girls and I have started to read 3 chapters of the Bible together each day.  I am also doing an in-depth study on

If you have never developed a mission statement or core values for your family, take time to begin praying about how God would have you define your home and family. What is He specifically calling your family to do, your home to be?
I have done this (the values for the family) and bought a canvas to paint it onto, but I never did it.  I'm going to make this one of my projects this summer.  I'd love to see what you come up with as well!
The Lord began our family with the verse Psalm 34:3, "Oh Magnify the Lord with me, let us exalt His name together" so this has a prominent influence in regard our family mission/values.


1 Underwood, Teri Lynne (2012-10-05). Parenting from the Overflow (p. 50).  . Kindle Edition. 
2 Underwood, Teri Lynne (2012-10-05). Parenting from the Overflow (p. 50).  . Kindle Edition. 
3 Underwood, Teri Lynne (2012-10-05). Parenting from the Overflow (p. 51).  . Kindle Edition. 
4 Underwood, Teri Lynne (2012-10-05). Parenting from the Overflow (p. 54).  . Kindle Edition. 


------------
A few moms over at the Polishing Rubies Facebook Page are going through the book "Parenting From the Overflow."  Feel free to grab the book and jump in with us, or share your comments below.
<3 Johnna








No comments:

Post a Comment